Neil Young to release new live album, recorded in 1984-85
According to well-known Neil Young fansite Thrasher's Wheat Neil Young will release a new live album called A Treasure, which was recorded during his 1984-85 US tour with the backing band The International Harvesters. While the '80s is often considered a low period in Neil Young's career, and his studio work leaves a lot to be desired at times, live he was usually as good as ever, and the tour in question here is highly regarded among fans. The album will contain twelve tracks, including six previously unreleased ones, and one of those, "Grey Riders", will be the first track released to the radio.
The International Harvesters were something of a country all-star band and featured long-time Neil Young collaborator the late Ben Keith on steel and slide guitar, Spooner Oldham on piano, Rufus Thibodeaux on fiddle, Hargus “Pig” Robbins on piano, bassists Tim Drummond and Joe Allen and drummer Karl Himmel, among others and their contributions are a large part of what made the tour as special as it was. A Treasure was mixed and mastered by Tim Mulligan and will be released on Reprise Records, with rumours of a June release date.
UPDATE: We've got more details on the album now (again thanks to Thrasher's Wheat). It'll be #9 in Neil Young's Archives Performance Series (although only volumes 00, 01, 02, 03 and 12 have been released so far) and it'll be released on June 14 and these are the release details: "It will be available in stores on CD and Blu-ray, as well as on iTunes and through all participating digital retailers. The limited-edition vinyl pressing will precede the CD street date, hitting shelves on May 24th, and will be pressed on 180-gram double-disc vinyl featuring special artwork etched into the fourth side. The vinyl edition will be sold through the official NeilYoung.com store and participating Record Store Day Independent Music Retailers only." We've also got the tracklist for you below.
Tracklist for A Treasure:
1. Amber Jean (9/20/84, Nashville Now TV Nashville, TN)*
2. Are You Ready For The Country? (9/21/84, Riverbend Music Center Cincinnati, OH)
3. It Might Have Been (9/25/84, Austin City Limits TV Austin, Texas)
4. Bound For Glory (9/29/84, Gilleys’s Rodeo Arena Pasadena, TX)
5. Let Your Fingers Do The Walking (10/22/84, Universal Amphitheater Universal City, CA)*
6. Flying On The Ground Is Wrong (10/26/84, Greek Theater Berkeley, CA)
7. Motor City (10/26/84, Greek Theater Berkeley, CA)
8. Soul Of A Woman (10/26/84, Greek Theater Berkeley, CA)*
9. Get Back To The Country (10/26/84, Greek Theater Berkeley, CA)
10. Southern Pacific (9/1/85, Minnesota State Fair St. Paul, MN)
11. Nothing Is Perfect (9/1/85, Minnesota State Fair St. Paul, MN)*
12. Grey Riders (9/10/85, Pier 84 New York City, NY)*
*previously unreleased songs